Halloween has a special place in my heart. It’s not because of the sweet memories with my little darlings (just insert Tootsie Rolls for Reese’s, please)
It’s actually because it has become the official holiday I
spend cocktail with my bestie. We realized although we love each other like family, we spend Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter with our actual families. But, there was one holiday we could make our very own: Halloween.
I’m not too sure how Sangria has become part of the framily tradition, but it works.
The tradition also usually involves me dressing in some crazy looking costume, which is reason 1,089 that Loomis and I need to live closer to one another. I am the only adult who dresses up on Halloween around here. Without further ado, here is my portion of my favorite Halloween costumes of years past.
2. “Freaky Friday” – Soccer mom details are very authentic.
3. Rosie the Taco. She loved this costume.
4. Pizza Delivery Guy
5. Rosie the Chicken
Enter Loomis. Try to top a schnauzer in a pope costume. I double dog dare you. (couldn’t resist the pun.)
1. I’ll see your Pope schnauzer and raise you two mariachi french bulldogs.
Don’t they look psyched? They were much happier when accompanied by Maverick and Mary Katherine Gallagher (M party, obvs)
As previously mentioned, we used to host a “letter party” that got completely out of hand and those memories, although fuzzy, are some of the best of my life.
But if I only get to pick FIVE – I’m probs going to bore you all with pics of the girls, because it’s their birthday week and I’m a complete emo mess. (in drastic comparison to other weeks
This is a fave because I long to squeeze them into the same swing again.
3. These gems popped into my FB memories this AM.
An ode to my original blog, Lil hoot, of course. (
4. Then, a few cute coordinating costume years later, something terrible happened. I had to let them start choosing their own costumes. The first year was tough for me, not gonna lie but the pop star and the cowgirl were fine. I guess. The second year they chose their own, this is what they came up with, WITHOUT having seen the movie, and without knowing these two had anything to do with each other. I know I sound like I’m lying but I’m not. I’m NOT!
5. Okay, no way I can limit this to 5 – but I guess the good news is we have plenty of material for next year. (I’m still cheating and squeezing two more in. #sorrynotsorry)
The year we went as “party aminals” – and Daddy even joined in the fun with his TED head.
And last but not least, last Halloween we went as The Breakfast Club (get it?!)
Dear Mr. Vernon, we accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it was we did wrong. But we think you’re crazy to make us write an essay telling you who we think we are. You see us as you want to see us – in the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. But what we found out is that each one of us is a brain…
…and an athlete…
…and a basket case…
…and a criminal…
Does that answer your question? Sincerely yours, the Breakfast Club.
Have your happiest Halloween yet – be whatever you want to be, today and every day!